TOPEKA, Kan. – One of the most successful seasons in Southwestern College women's tennis history came to a close in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference championship match Saturday morning. The Lady Builders fell to the Bulldogs of McPherson College, 5-0, at the Genesis-Wood Valley indoor tennis facility in Topeka, Kan.
McPherson (9-2), which entered the tournament ranked No. 23 in the most recent NAIA Women's Tennis Coaches' Top 25 Poll, swept doubles play to take a 3-0 lead in the match. Sydney Shields and Olivia Medaris pushed the Bulldogs at No. 1, only to watch McPherson rally for an 8-6 win. The Bulldogs took the No. 2 court by an 8-5 count, and completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win at No. 3.
The Bulldogs won on each of the top two singles courts to clinch the match. Morgan Hughes dropped a 6-0, 6-1 decision to Brittany Zipf on the No. 1 court, while Olivia Medaris fell to Besa Bwalya at No. 2, 6-1, 6-3, to give the Bulldogs their fifth team point. Anna Mankoski held a 6-0, 4-3 lead over Lea Striegel on the No. 3 court, but was unable to complete her match before McPherson clinched the match.
Southwestern ends its season with a 17-5 overall mark. The Lady Builders will bid farewell to Morgan Hughes, Sydney Shields, Sadie Pfau and Savannah Caro, but look to return seven members of this year's team for the 2017-18 season.
#23 McPherson 5, Southwestern 0
1. Brittany Zipf (MCPH) def. Morgan Hughes (SWC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Besa Bwalya (MCPH) def. Olivia Medaris (SWC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Lea Striegel (MCPH) vs. Anna Mankoski (SWC) 0-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. Zoe Boumeester (MCPH) vs. Abbi Groff (SWC) 0-0, unfinished
5. Jerlecia Thompson (SWC) vs. Madison Hoffman (MCPH) no result
6. Taylor Crawford (SWC) vs. Deiah Curtis (MCPH) no result
1. Brittany Zipf/Besa Bwalya (MCPH) def. Sydney Shields/Olivia Medaris (SWC) 8-6
2. Lea Striegel/Zoe Boumeester (MCPH) def. Morgan Hughes/Anna Mankoski (SWC) 8-5
3. Deiah Curtis/Madison Hoffman (MCPH) def. Savannah Caro/Sadie Pfau (SWC) 8-3