OTTAWA, Kan. – The Southwestern College women's tennis team cruised to its fourth-straight win Thursday afternoon in Ottawa. The Lady Builders defeated the Braves of Ottawa University, 7-2, at Forest Park.
Southwestern (12-4, 4-1 KCAC) essentially opened the match with a 3-0 lead before the first serve was tossed into the air. Ottawa (5-8, 2-2 KCAC) was unable to provide an opponent at No. 3 doubles, No. 5 singles and No. 6 singles, and the Lady Builders earned default wins simply by arriving at the court for those contests.
The Lady Builders swept the two doubles matches that were actually played, and clinched the match in the process. Sydney Shields and Olivia Medaris held off the Braves' No. 1 tandem of Allison Corfield and Jennifer Luedtke for a 9-7 win, while Morgan Hughes and Anna Mankoski claimed the No. 2 match with an 8-5 victory over Rhian Shepherd and Ashlynn Good that gave Southwestern a 5-0 lead in the match.
Ottawa claimed its only wins of the day on the top two singles courts. Corfield defeated Hughes in straight sets (6-4, 6-0) on the No. 1 court, while Luedtke topped Medaris, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2.
Mankoski and Abbi Groff won the two remaining courts. Mankoski ousted Shepherd, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 3 contest, while Groff cruised past Good, 6-0, 6-1 to give the Lady Builders their 7-2 final margin of victory.
With Thursday's win, the Lady Builders improve to 12-4 on the season, and 4-1 in KCAC play. Southwestern will play on its home courts for the first time in 40 days on Saturday when the Threshers of Bethel College pay a visit to the T.H. Vaughan Tennis Center for a 10 a.m. match.
Southwestern 7, Ottawa 2
1. Allison Corfield (OTT) def. Morgan Hughes (SWC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Jennifer Luedtke (OTT) def. Olivia Medaris (SWC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Anna Mankoski (SWC) def. Rhian Shepherd (OTT) 7-5, 6-1
4. Abbi Groff (SWC) def. Ashlynn Good (OTT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Taylor Crawford (SWC) def. No player (OTT), by default
6. Sydney Shields (SWC) def. No player (OTT), by default
1. Sydney Shields/Olivia Medaris (SWC) def. Allison Corfield/Jennifer Luedtke (OTT) 9-7
2. Morgan Hughes/Anna Mankoski (SWC) def. Rhian Shepherd/Ashlynn Good (OTT) 8-5
3. Taylor Crawford/Abbi Groff (SWC) def. No player/No player (OTT), by default