HILLSBORO, Kan. – The Southwestern College men's tennis team was dealt its third-straight setback Tuesday afternoon. The Moundbuilders fell to the Tabor College Bluejays, 6-3, in Hillsboro.
Southwestern was faced with a 2-1 deficit in the match following doubles play. Michael Bond and Logan Bevis notched the Moundbuilders' only doubles win of the match with an 8-6 win over Tabor's Harry Faber and Luis Navarette on the No. 2 court, but Tabor took the No. 1 and No. 3 courts to take a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
Things didn't get much better for the Moundbuilders in the singles competition. Bond and Braden Baker provided Southwestern's only singles wins in the contest. Bond defeated Navarette in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, on the No. 3 court, while Baker ousted Jared Friesen, 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 6 matches. But Tabor won the remaining four singles matches on its way to the 6-3 win.
Tuesday's loss drops Southwestern to 6-6 on the season, and 0-2 in KCAC play. The Moundbuilders will return to action Thursday, hosting the Bethany College Swedes. First serve is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the T.H. Vaughan Tennis Center.
Tabor 6, Southwestern 3
1. Kelyn Vix (TC) def. Max Manley (SC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Tyler Dort (TC) def. Jordan Tompkins (SC), 7-5, 6-1
3. Michael Bond (SC) def. Luis Navarette (TC), 6-1, 6-3
4. Harry Faber (TC) def. Logan Bevis (SC), 6-0, 6-1
5. Darian Flores (TC) def. Hollace Dillon (SC), 6-4, 6-0
6. Braden Baker (SC) def. Jared Friesen (TC), 7-6, 6-2
1. Vix/Dort (TC) def. Manley/Tompkins (SC), 8-3
2. Bond/Bevis (SC) def. Faber/Navarette (TC), 8-6
3. Flores/Friesen (TC) def. Dillon/Baker (SC), 8-3